Skip to content
Australian Research, Reports, Studies:
- 2006 Beaton /Beyond Blue survey of 7,500 professionals
- Kelk N. Luscombe G. Medlow S. Hickie I. (2009) Courting the Blues: Attitudes towards depression in Australian law students and lawyers
- Kelk N. Medlow S. Hickie I. (2010) Distress and Depression among Australian Law Students: Incidence, Attitudes and the Role of Universities
- Kelk N. Medlow S Hickie I. (2010) Depression and the Law: Experiences of Australian Barristers and Solicitors
- Kendall C. (2011) Report on Psychological Distress and Depression in the Legal Profession
https://www.lawsocietywa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Report-on-psychological-distress-and-depression-in-the-legal-profession.pdf• Townes O’Brien, M., Tang, S. & Hall, K. (2011). No time to lose: Negative impact on law student wellbeing may begin in year one. The International Journal of the First Year in Higher Education, 2(2), 49-60. doi: 10.5204/intjfyhe.v2i2.84
- Skead N. Rogers S. L. (2013) Stress, anxiety and depression in law students: How student behaviours affect student wellbeing
- Clarke B.S. (2015) Coming Out in the Classroom: Law Professors, Law Students and Depression. Journal of Legal Education, Volume 64, Number 3 (February 2015)
- Judicial Wellbeing – Curated resources for judicial officers
Research on the impact of the workplace on Mental Wellbeing
- Shain M. (1999) The role of the workplace in the production and containment of health costs: the case of stress‐related disorders. Leadership in Health Services, Volume: 12 Issue: 2, 1999
- Shain M. Kramer D.M. (2004) Health Promotion in the workplace: framing the concept; reviewing the evidence Occup Environ Med 2004;61:643–648.
doi: 10.1136/oem.2004.013193 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1740810/pdf/v061p00643.pdf
- Shain M. (2008) Calculating the cost of work-related stress and psychosocial risks: European Risk Observatory Literature Review (Report was commissioned by the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work) https://osha.europa.eu/en/tools-and-publications/publications/literature_reviews/calculating-the-cost-of-work-related-stress-and-psychosocial-risks
- LaMontagne, Anthony D, Keegel, Tessa, Vallance, Deborah, Ostry, Aleck and Wolfe, Rory (2008), Job strain — Attributable depression in a sample of working Australians: Assessing the contribution to health inequalities, BMC Public Health, vol. 8, no. Article 181, pp. 1‐9. Available from Deakin Research Online: http://hdl.handle.net/10536/DRO/DU:30061301
- Shain M. (2010) Tracking the perfect legal storm: Converging systems create mounting pressure to create the psychologically safe workplace https://www.workplacestrategiesformentalhealth.com/pdf/perfect_legal_en.pdf
- Shain M. (2010) The Shain Reports on Psychological Safety in the Workplace – A Summary Prepared for the Mental Health Commission of Canada | April 2010 http://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/sites/default/files/Workforce_Psychological_Safety_in_the_Workplace_ENG_0_1.pdf
- Shain M. (2011) the Road to Psychological Safety : Legal, scientific and social foundations for a national standard for psychological safety in the workplace http://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/SiteCollectionDocuments/Workforce_2011/T he_Road_to_Psychological_Safety.pdf
- LaMontagne A. and Keegel T. (2012) Reducing Stress in the Workplace http://www.iepcp.org.au/sites/default/files/6.%20Reducing%20stress%20in%20the%20workplace.pdf
- Vezina M. (2013) Meeting fundamental human needs is vital to promote psychological health in the workplace http://www.qualaxia.org/download/pub/Quintessence-V05N01-en.pdf
- Omari, M. , & Paull, M. (2013). ‘Shut up and bill’: Workplace bullying challenges for the legal profession. International Journal of the Legal Profession, 20(2), 141-160. Available online at here This Journal Article is posted at Research Online http://ro.ecu.edu.au/ecuworks2013/811
- Michalek, R.T. (2013) Beyond slips, trips, and falls The emerging importance of psychosocial risk management www.qls.com.au//Beyond_Slips_Trips_and_Falls_Rebecca_Michalak_Proctor_May.
- LaMontagne A. D. Martin A. Page K. M. Reayley N. J. Noblet A. J. Milner A. J. Keegel, T. Smith P.M. (2014) Workplace mental health: developing an integrated intervention approach BMC Psychiatry201414:131 DOI: 10.1186/1471-244X-14-131
- Michalek R. T. (2015) Causes and Consequences of Work-Related Psychosocial Risk Exposure A Comparative Investigation of Organisational Context, Employee Attitudes, Job Performance and Wellbeing in Lawyers and Non-Lawyer Professionals ISBN: 978-0-9874106-0-3 (Print version) ISBN: 978-0-9874106-1-0 (Electronic version)
- 2014 PWC Report: Creating a mentally Healthy Workplace: Return on Investment https://www.headsup.org.au/docs/defaultsource/resources/beyondblue_workplaceroi_finalreport_may-2014.pdf
- Gallup Report (2013) Australians disengaged at work http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/australians-disengaged-at-work-report/story-fn59niix-1226735435897
National Standard Canada released 2013
Implementation of the Standard
Sample psychological health and safety policy
- Ierodiaconou M.J. Foster R. (2013) “Telling Admissions: Disclosing mental illness among lawyers”. Jan/Feb 2013 87 (1/2) LIJ p.32.
- Ierodiaconou M. J. Foster R. (2013) “Laying it on the line: Mental health issues in the legal profession”. LSJ June 2013 p.60-6.
- Ierodiaconou M.J. (2013) “Reasonable adjustments for workers with disabilities: accommodating disability in the workplace”. Ethos/ December 2013. link to pdf
- Associate Justice Mary-Jane Ierodiaconou (2015) “Inspiring Change: Creating a healthy work environment is key to sustainable lawyering and the mental wellbeing of the profession”. December 2015 LIJ p.48-51.
- Ierodiaconou M.J. (2015) National Wellness for Law Forum. Ethos March 2015 p.16-17.