Australian Research, Reports, Studies:
- 2006 Beaton /Beyond Blue survey of 7,500 professionals
- Kelk N. Luscombe G. Medlow S. Hickie I. (2009) Courting the Blues: Attitudes towards depression in Australian law students and lawyers
- Kelk N. Medlow S. Hickie I. (2010) Distress and Depression among Australian Law Students: Incidence, Attitudes and the Role of Universities
- Kelk N. Medlow S Hickie I. (2010) Depression and the Law: Experiences of Australian Barristers and Solicitors
- Kendall C. (2011) Report on Psychological Distress and Depression in the Legal Profession
- Townes O’Brien, M., Tang, S. & Hall, K. (2011). No time to lose: Negative impact on law student wellbeing may begin in year one. The International Journal of the First Year in Higher Education, 2(2), 49-60. doi: 10.5204/intjfyhe.v2i2.84
- Skead N. Rogers S. L. (2013) Stress, anxiety and depression in law students: How student behaviours affect student wellbeing
- Clarke B.S. (2015) Coming Out in the Classroom: Law Professors, Law Students and Depression. Journal of Legal Education, Volume 64, Number 3 (February 2015)
- Judicial Wellbeing – Curated resources for judicial officers
- Krill P.R. Johnson R. Albert L. (2016) The Prevalence of Substance Use and Other Mental Health Concerns Among American Attorneys Journal of Addict Med. 2016 Feb; 10(1): 46–52. doi: 10.1097/ADM.0000000000000182
- Krieger L. Sheldon K.M. (2014) What makes lawyers happy? Transcending the anecdotes with data from 6200 lawyers.
- Krieger L. (2002) Institutional Denial About the Dark Side of Law School and Fresh Empirical Guidance for Constructively Breaking the Silence
Research on the impact of the workplace on Mental Wellbeing
- Shain M. (1999) The role of the workplace in the production and containment of health costs: the case of stress‐related disorders. Leadership in Health Services, Volume: 12 Issue: 2, 1999
- Shain M. Kramer D.M. (2004) Health Promotion in the workplace: framing the concept; reviewing the evidence Occup Environ Med 2004;61:643–648.
doi: 10.1136/oem.2004.013193 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1740810/pdf/v061p00643.pdf
- Shain M. (2008) Calculating the cost of work-related stress and psychosocial risks: European Risk Observatory Literature Review (Report was commissioned by the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work) https://osha.europa.eu/en/tools-and-publications/publications/literature_reviews/calculating-the-cost-of-work-related-stress-and-psychosocial-risks
- LaMontagne, Anthony D, Keegel, Tessa, Vallance, Deborah, Ostry, Aleck and Wolfe, Rory (2008), Job strain — Attributable depression in a sample of working Australians: Assessing the contribution to health inequalities, BMC Public Health, vol. 8, no. Article 181, pp. 1‐9. Available from Deakin Research Online: https://hdl.handle.net/10536/DRO/DU:30061301
- Shain M. (2010) Tracking the perfect legal storm: Converging systems create mounting pressure to create the psychologically safe workplace https://www.workplacestrategiesformentalhealth.com/pdf/perfect_legal_en.pdf
- Shain M. (2010) The Shain Reports on Psychological Safety in the Workplace – A Summary Prepared for the Mental Health Commission of Canada | April 2010 https://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/sites/default/files/Workforce_Psychological_Safety_in_the_Workplace_ENG_0_1.pdf
- Shain M. (2011) the Road to Psychological Safety : Legal, scientific and social foundations for a national standard for psychological safety in the workplace https://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/SiteCollectionDocuments/Workforce_2011/T he_Road_to_Psychological_Safety.pdf
- LaMontagne A. and Keegel T. (2012) Reducing Stress in the Workplace https://www.iepcp.org.au/sites/default/files/6.%20Reducing%20stress%20in%20the%20workplace.pdf
- Vezina M. (2013) Meeting fundamental human needs is vital to promote psychological health in the workplace https://www.qualaxia.org/download/pub/Quintessence-V05N01-en.pdf
- Omari, M. , & Paull, M. (2013). ‘Shut up and bill’: Workplace bullying challenges for the legal profession. International Journal of the Legal Profession, 20(2), 141-160. Available online at here This Journal Article is posted at Research Online https://ro.ecu.edu.au/ecuworks2013/811
- Michalek, R.T. (2013) Beyond slips, trips, and falls The emerging importance of psychosocial risk management www.qls.com.au//Beyond_Slips_Trips_and_Falls_Rebecca_Michalak_Proctor_May.
- LaMontagne A. D. Martin A. Page K. M. Reayley N. J. Noblet A. J. Milner A. J. Keegel, T. Smith P.M. (2014) Workplace mental health: developing an integrated intervention approach BMC Psychiatry201414:131 DOI: 10.1186/1471-244X-14-131
- Michalek R. T. (2015) Causes and Consequences of Work-Related Psychosocial Risk Exposure A Comparative Investigation of Organisational Context, Employee Attitudes, Job Performance and Wellbeing in Lawyers and Non-Lawyer Professionals ISBN: 978-0-9874106-0-3 (Print version) ISBN: 978-0-9874106-1-0 (Electronic version)
- 2014 PWC Report: Creating a mentally Healthy Workplace: Return on Investment https://www.headsup.org.au/docs/defaultsource/resources/beyondblue_workplaceroi_finalreport_may-2014.pdf
- Gallup Report (2013) Australians disengaged at work https://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/australians-disengaged-at-work-report/story-fn59niix-1226735435897
National Standard Canada released 2013
- CAN/CSA-Z1003-13/BNQ 9700-803/2013 National Standard of Canada :Psychological health and safety in the workplace — Prevention, promotion, and guidance to staged implementation https://www.csagroup.org/documents/codes-and-standards/publications/CAN_CSA-Z1003-13_BNQ_9700-803_2013_EN.pdf
Implementation of the Standard
- SPE Z1003 IMPLEMENTATION HB – Assembling the pieces – An implementation guide to the national standard for psychological health and safety in the workplace
Sample psychological health and safety policy
- Ierodiaconou M.J. Foster R. (2013) “Telling Admissions: Disclosing mental illness among lawyers”. Jan/Feb 2013 87 (1/2) LIJ p.32.
- Ierodiaconou M. J. Foster R. (2013) “Laying it on the line: Mental health issues in the legal profession”. LSJ June 2013 p.60-6.
- Ierodiaconou M.J. (2013) “Reasonable adjustments for workers with disabilities: accommodating disability in the workplace”. Ethos/ December 2013. link to pdf
- Associate Justice Mary-Jane Ierodiaconou (2015) “Inspiring Change: Creating a healthy work environment is key to sustainable lawyering and the mental wellbeing of the profession”. December 2015 LIJ p.48-51.
- Ierodiaconou M.J. (2015) National Wellness for Law Forum. Ethos March 2015 p.16-17.